Difference between revisions of "Frankie Narvaez vs. Johnny Bizzarro (3rd meeting)"
(Created page with "<fight>80268</fight> "Frankie Narvaez' determination has paid off with a disputed victory over Johnny Bizzarro. Frankie's charges in the last three rounds enabled him to over...")
Latest revision as of 04:04, 8 February 2013
1965-06-07 : Frankie Narvaez 134¾ lbs beat Johnny Bizzarro 134½ lbs by SD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Arthur Mercante 5-4
- Judge: Joe Eppy 5-4
- Judge: Joe Armstrong 3-7
"Frankie Narvaez' determination has paid off with a disputed victory over Johnny Bizzarro. Frankie's charges in the last three rounds enabled him to overhaul Bizzarro in the eyes of two of the three officials. As a result, Narvaez gained a split decision over Bizzarro from Erie, Pa., in their lively 10 rounder at MSG. The pro-Narvaez crowd of about 3,000 cheered everything the Puerto Rican did, including his many misses. Bizzarro seemed to have the fight all wrapped up with his hit and move tactics until Frankie went to town in the 8th." -Associated Press
- Unofficial AP scorecard - 6-4 Bizzarro
- A ringside poll of 17 boxing writers viewed 9 scoring for Bizzarro, 7 for Narvaez and 1 scoring it even.
- The winner of this bout was promised a July 13 non-title bout with world junior lightweight champ Flash Elorde, which actually came off on August 4th.
Post fight comments
- "I felt I had to keep driving. I knew it was real close and that if I kept coming at him I could win. I could see he was getting arm weary and that drove me on some more." -Frankie Narvaez
- "I thought I won it easily. I think the crowd swayed the officials." -Johnny Bizzarro