Name: Fred Fulton
Alias: The Rochester Plasterer
Birth Name: Fred Tobias Fulton
Birthplace: Blue Rapids, Kansas, USA
Died: 1973-07-03 (Age:82)
Hometown: Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Height: 6′ 6½″ / 199cm
Reach: 84½″ / 215cm
Boxing Record: click
Managers: Mike Collins, Jack Reddy, Frank Force, Tommy Russell (of Minneapolis)
- Fulton was known as a Rochester plasterer by trade.
- Trivia: In early 1924, according to newspaper wire reports, Fulton vowed to never again fight during the months of June, July and August, because he had realized that the few losses of his career had occurred during summer. He then racked up a string of losses in the following non-summer months.
- Knocked down Heavyweight Champ Jess Willard in an exhibition match on May 14, 1915 in Rochester, MN.
- Fulton was rejected as a challenger by Champion Jess Willard throughout 1917 despite a string of victories, but was generally regarded as the Number One contender by most experts of the day.
- In March of 1918 it was widely reported that Fulton's manager had got Willard to agree to defend his title against his man, so a proposed bout with Jack Dempsey had been called off. Confirmations and denials flew back and forth for weeks. Then, on March 25 a report out of Chicago announced that Willard and Fulton had indeed come to terms thanks to Colonel J. C. Miller. Willard was to receive 75 percent of the net profits and Fulton was to be paid a flat fee of $20,000, with the bout to be staged on July 4th at "...an as yet to be determined site." In April it was said the match would take place in the Twin Cities. However, on May 14th it was announced by Col. Miller that the bout was called off due to growing political pressure against boxing in that state.
- January of 1918 he was sued for assault by his own brother after punching him in the face during an argument over money. The year before Fulton had been charged with assault for throwing a young woman into the water after a heated argument.
- Died in Park Rapids, Minnesota.
- 2003: The Ring Magazine's 100 Greatest Punchers
- See also, Cyber Boxing Zone's Fulton page.
- Was naturally left-handed and fought from both orthodox and southpaw stances avidly throughout his career.
Official Measurements: Height: 6' 6 1/2" Reach: 84 1/2" Chest Normal: 45" Chest Expanded: 48" Neck: 18 1/4" Waist: 35" Calf: 15 1/2" Ankle: 12" Biceps: 14" Wrist: 8 1/2" Weight: 218 lbs.