Gennady Golovkin vs. Makoto Fuchigami
2012-05-12 : Gennady Golovkin 159¾ lbs beat Makoto Fuchigami 159 lbs by TKO at 1:17 in round 3 of 12
- Location: Ice Palace "Terminal", Brovari, Ukraine
- Referee: Jose Ignacio Martinez
- Judge: Ted Gimza
- Judge: Tom Miller
- Judge: Ove Ovesen
- World Boxing Association World Middleweight Title (4th defense by Golovkin)
- IBO Middleweight Title (1st defense by Golovkin)
- Gennady Golovkin 22-0 (19 KOs) vs. Makoto Fuchigami 19-6 (10 KOs)
- Golovkin entered as the # 9 middleweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Fuchigami, who was as high as a 30/1 betting underdog, was unranked by the same publication.  
- It was the first fight for Fuchigami outside his native Japan.
- Golovkin came to the ring to an instrumental version of "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes.
Fuchigami pawed with a jab and occasionally tried to land the left hand. Golovkin did very little for much of the opening round before coming on with power shots in the final moments. A cut opened over the right eye of Fuchigami in the final seconds that would bleed down into the eye for the remainder of the bout. Golovkin controlled Round 2 against Fuchigami, who fought much of the round with his hands down. A right hand put Fuchigami down on his backside at 2:10 of Round 2. He was up quickly and action continued. Although Fuchigami was on wobbly legs, he evaded to get through the round. A left hook followed by a right hand in Round 3, sent Fuchigami down in a corner. He was able to get to his feet and was allowed to continue. A followup barrage from Golovkin, however, caused the referee to step in and wave an end to the bout as the challenger was against the ropes and taking punches.