Gil Turner vs. Garnet Hart
(Created page with "<fight>42012</fight> "The friendly feud between welterweight contenders Garnet (Sugar) Hart and Gil Turner had its final act last night, a heated 10 round draw that left no o...")
Latest revision as of 12:35, 16 December 2012
1958-06-12 : Gil Turner 150 lbs drew with Garnet Hart 145½ lbs by PTS in round 10 of 10
- Location: Connie Mack Stadium, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- Referee: Zach Clayton 44-48
- Judge: Jim Mina 46-45
- Judge: Nate Lopinson 46-46
"The friendly feud between welterweight contenders Garnet (Sugar) Hart and Gil Turner had its final act last night, a heated 10 round draw that left no one particularly happy. Ringsiders and the 8,769 fans in Connie Mack Stadium were virtually unanimous in favoring Hart. Neither fighter was down nor seriously hurt. Hart displayed a sharp left hook that became more effective as the bout progressed. Turner started fast with his usual aggressive, bulling tactics and slowed up by the 5th round. Turner tried to use his 4 1/2 pound weight pull to his advantage. Instead, Hart appeared to get stronger." -Associated Press
- Unofficial AP scorecard - 48-44 Hart
- A poll of 8 sportwriters showed 7 favoring Hart and 1 scoring for Turner.
- Gate - $37,500 (gross)
- Purses - Both fighters were guaranteed 25% of the net gate.