Guillermo Rigondeaux Ortiz
Guillermo Rigondeaux Ortiz (Born: September 30, 1980 in La Prueba, Cuba) is a former Cuban amateur boxer, who captured the Olympic Gold Medal at the 2000 and 2004 Olympic Games, in the Bantamweight (54 kg) class. Rigondeaux is a seven-time (2000-06) Cuban national champion at bantamweight. He currently claims an amateur record of 243-4; with his losses coming to Rencise Perez and Beksat Sattarkhanov in 1998, Waldemar Font in 1999, and his most recent loss against Agasi Mamedov in 2003.
On July 22, 2007, Rigondeaux and teammate Erislandy Lara failed to appear for their scheduled bouts at the Pan American Games in Brazil. It was initially announced that Rigondeaux was to turn professional, joining fellow 2004 Cuban Olympians Odlanier Solis, Yuriorkis Gamboa and Yan Barthelemy, who defected earlier in 2007. As with the other Cuban defectors, Rigondeaux signed a promotional deal with Ahmet Öner and ARENA Box-Promotion. However on August 2nd, Rigondeaux and Lara were taken into police custody in Brazil, stating that they wanted to return home to Cuba. Then Cuban leader Fidel Castro has stated that Rigondeaux and Lara will not box again for the Cuban team.
- Defeated Moez Zemzemi (Tunisia) KO 1
- Defeated Kazumasa Tsujimoto (Japan) RSC 3
- Defeated Agasi Agaguloglu (Turkey) 14-5
- Defeated Clarence Vinson (United States) 18-6
- Defeated Raimkul Malakhbekov (Russia) 18-12
- Round of 32: Defeated Liu Yuan of China - PTS (21-7)
- Round of 16: Defeated Mehar Ullah of Pakistan - RSC 3
- Quarterfinals: Defeated Gennady Kovalev of Russia - PTS (20-5)
- Semifinals: Defeated Bahodirjon Sooltonov of Uzbekistan - PTS (27-13)
- Gold Medal Match: Defeated Worapoj Petchkoom of Thailand - PTS (22-13)
Other amateur achievements
- 2000 Cuban national amateur champion - bantamweight
- 2001 Cuban national amateur champion - bantamweight
- 2001 World amateur champion - bantamweight (in Belfast, Northern Ireland)
- 2002 Cuban national amateur champion - bantamweight
- 2002 World Cup champion - bantamweight (in Astana, Kazakhstan)
- 2003 Cuban national amateur champion - bantamweight
- 2003 competed as a bantamweight at World championships in Bangkok, Thailand. Results were:
- 2003 Bantamweight gold medalist at Pan-American games in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- 2004 Cuban national amateur champion - bantamweight
- 2005 Cuban national amateur champion - bantamweight
- 2005 Bantamweight gold medalist at World Cup in Moscow Russia.
- 2005 World amateur champion at bantamweight in competition held in Mianyang, China
- 2006 Cuban national amateur champion
- 2006 Bantamweight gold medalist at Central American Games in Cartagena, Colombia
- 2006 Bantamweight gold medalist at Nations Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan.
boxingconfidential.com article on contact with ARENA