(Redirected from Human:11971)
Name: Roy Harris
Hometown: Cut and Shoot, Texas, USA
Height: 6′ 0″ / 183cm
Boxing Record: click
- Won Texas State Heavyweight Championship in 1955.
- Won Heavyweight Champion of the South in 1956.
- Named The Ring magazine Progress of the Year fighter for 1957.
- Challenged Floyd Patterson for World Heavyweight title on Aug. 18, 1958 [lost by TKO in the 13th].
- Nicknamed Roy "Cut 'N Shoot" Harris because he was from Cut and Shoot, Texas.
- Harris graduated from Sam Houston State College and was a secondary school teacher. He later became an attorney after he retired from boxing.
- As an amateur, Harris was a four-time state Golden Gloves champ (1952-55) and won state Olympic Trials in 1952. Harris was the winner of the Joe Louis Sportsmanship Award at the 1954 national Golden Gloves.
- Newspaper article about Roy "Cut 'N Shoot" Harris - A Fighter From The Start 
- Cut and Shoot - Good Place To Come From (article on heavyweight challenger Roy Harris), Life (magazine), August 11, 1958 
- Video: Roy Harris training for Floyd Patterson bout in 1958 
- AP newspaper article of July 11, 1958 on Roy Harris training for his bout with Floyd Patterson 
- UPI newspaper article of August 20, 1958 on Harris-Patterson bout 
- Video: Roy Harris vs. Sonny Liston, 1960 
- AP newspaper article of April 26, 1960 on Liston-Harris bout 
- "Cut and Shoot" Roy Harris: Small town Fighter to Heavyweight Chamionship Bout! - Interview by Ken Hissner, Doghouse Boxing, March 9, 2011