John 'Jack' Broughton, known as the father of English boxing, was champion from 1729 (some say from 1738) until 1750 and was a pupil of James Figg. Broughton made his first appearance at George Taylor's booth at the Adam and Eve in Tottenham Court Road. He then went on to teach boxing at his arena known as Broughton’s Amphitheatre in Oxford Road near to Oxford Street. The theatre was opened in March 1743 and in the same year he introduced the first rules of boxing.
Broughton’s Rules introduced a 3-foot square in the centre of the ring, breaks when a fighter was knocked down. Gloves were used, but only during practice. Broughton’s Rules were used until 1838 when the London Prize Ring Rules were developed by the Pugilistic Society.
He died in January 1789 aged 86 at Walcot Place in Lambeth. He was buried in Westminster Abbey where he was a Yeoman of the guard in the West Cloister along with his wife Elizabeth. The gravestone includes the inscription :- "Mr John Broughton, Champion Prizefighter of England, Died Jan 8th 1789, Aged 86 years"
Many references falsely state Broughton is buried at Lambeth Church.
- CBZ Record