Difference between revisions of "Jack Sharkey vs. Jimmy Maloney (4th meeting)"
Revision as of 11:00, 9 December 2012
1927-05-20 : Jack Sharkey 192 lbs beat Jim Maloney 202½ lbs by TKO at 0:52 in round 5 of 15
- Location: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York, USA
- Referee: Lou Magnolia
- Judge: Tom Flynn
- Judge: Charles F. Mathison
- By virtue of this victory, Sharkey became a "serious contender" for Gene Tunney's heavyweight crown. (AP)
- Purses: Sharkey-$49,228, Maloney-$49,228
- Video of bout: 
"With a two-fisted attack which showed him a dangerous figure in the heavyweight campaign aimed at Gene Tunney's title, Jack Sharkey, last night battered his way to a TKO victory over his fellow Bostonian Jimmy Maloney in the 5th round of their battle at Yankee Stadium. Lying in wait through the early rounds, Sharkey held the bulk of his charge until the 4th round. Then he sprang with a fury that sent Maloney to the floor with a smashing right to the jaw. As Maloney bounded to his feet the bell clanged, but his head was still hazy as the 5th began. Like a tiger stalking his prey, Sharkey went in for the kill. Another knockdown for no count and a wild rush by the bleeding Maloney, then Sharkey's swinging left hook and overhand right swung Maloney off his feet. Gamely, he tried to rise but fell forward, all but senseless. At the moment, the count was finished and the referee intervened." -Associated Press
- Estimated gate receipts: $250,000
- This bout sealed the deal for the Dempsey-Sharkey elimination bout proposed to take place in late July or early August with the winner to fight Tunney for the title in September.