James Toney vs. Dave Tiberi
1992-02-08 : James Toney 159¾ lbs beat Dave Tiberi 158¼ lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Trump Taj Mahal, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Robert Palmer
- Judge: Frank Brunette 111-117
- Judge: Bill Lerch 115-112
- Judge: Frank Garza 115-112
- International Boxing Federation Middleweight Title (4th. defending of Toney)
- Weights: Toney 159.75 lbs, Tiberi 158.5 lbs
- A point was deducted from Tiberi for a low blow in round 6.
- In a fight where many felt that Tiberi dominated, Toney's split decision victory (by scores of 115-111, 115-111 and 111-117) prompted U.S. Senator William Roth of Delaware to call for an investigation of the sport.
- The investigation uncovered the fact that the two judges that awarded the fight to Toney, were not licensed in the state of New Jersey.
- Tiberi chose to retire, even though he was in the prime of his career, rather than fight again.
- In 2009 Toney finally admitted he lost.
Toney vs. McCallum I
| IBF Middleweight Title Fight
Toney vs. Wolfe