Difference between revisions of "Jarrod Fletcher"
m (→Notable Awards & Achievements)
m (→Professional Title Won)
|Line 63:||Line 63:|
== Professional Title Won ==
== Professional Title Won ==
* 'PABA Middleweight Title'
* 'PABA Middleweight Title' 13th November 2009
Revision as of 03:20, 11 March 2012
|Competitor for Australia|
Name: Jarrod Fletcher
Alias: Left Jab
Born: 1983-10-20 (Age:31)
Birthplace: Moe, Victoria, Australia
Hometown: Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Height: 5′ 10½″ / 179cm
Reach: 70″ / 178cm
Boxing Record: click
Jarrod Fletcher was born in Moe, Victoria on the 20th of October, 1983. His family moved to Hervey Bay, Queensland in 1990.
Fletcher started boxing at age 10 along with his two brothers, Glenn & Robbie. All were trained by their father Dave, and billed themselves as "The Fighting Fletchers." Jarrod won his first State Title at 10 years old and won one every year after that (9 in total). He lost only four of 80 contests as a Junior, and racked up eight Australian Titles (Junior & Senior).
Fletcher was offered a scholarship at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in the "High Performance Boxing Program"--which saw him move to Canberra as a 17-year-old. He trained out of the AIS for seven years (November 2001 - August 2008). This gave him the opportunity to compete in many international tournaments against world-class opponents, including two Commonwealth Games (2002 & 2006) and the 2008 Olympic Games. He won a Gold Medal in the Middleweight Division at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games--beating the likes of James DeGale (who went on to become the 2008 Beijing Olympics Middleweight Gold Medalist), and eventually defeating Canadian Adonis Stevenson in the Final. Fletcher also won the Gold Medal at the 2007 and 2008 Oceania Championships in Samoa. His amateur record spanned over 180 fights for 152 wins.
Fletcher turned professional in 2009. After only two bouts (both KO victories), he fought New Zealander Dion McNabney for the 'an Asian Boxing Association (PABA) Middleweight Title, which he won by a 2nd round knockout. After a year's break (due to injury), Fletcher returned in 2011.
Currently (2011, he is trained by Steve Deller, out of the Fortitude Boxing Gym. He is promoted by Black Tie Boxing Promotions, and sponsored by CNW Electrical.
Notable Awards & Achievements
- Named as the '1999 Australian Junior Boxer of the Year'.
- Awarded the 'Australian Sports Medal for Services to the Sport of Boxing' in 2000.
- Won the 'Jamie Nicholson Memorial Shield' as the 'Best Performed International Boxer' at both the 2002 & 2006 Australian National Championships.
- Participated in the 'Queens Baton Relay' in 2002.
- Awarded the 'A.C.T Sports Star of the Month' in 2003.
- Selected as 'Boxing Team Captain' for the 2006 Commonwealth Games & the 2008 Olympic Games.
- Won the 'Fraser Coast Sports Star of the Year' in 2006.
- Awarded 'The Keys to the City' by the Hervey Bay Mayor in 2006 (only the 3rd person to receive such an honour & the youngest person ever)
- Awarded the 'Hervey Bay Senior Sportsperson Of The Year' Australia Day Award in 2012.
- Competed at the 2001 Patrons Cup in Papua New Guinea. (Gold Medal)
- Competed at the 2002 Four Nations Cup in France. (Silver Medal)
- Competed at the 2002 Oceania Championships in New Zealand. (Silver Medal)
- Competed at the 2002 World Cup in Kazakstan.
- Competed at the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games as a Welterweight. (5th Place)
- Competed at the 2003 Commonwealth Cup in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Gold Medal)
- Competed at the 2004 Australia vs. Scotland/England Tournament. (Gold Medal) (Boxer Of The Tournament)
- Competed at the 2005 World Championships. (Team Captain)
- Competed at the 2005 A.R.A.F.U.R.A Games (Silver Medal)
- Competed at the 2006 Norway Boxing Cup in Oslo. (Bronze Medal)
- Competed at the 2006 Tammer Cup in Finland. (Gold Medal)
- Competed at the 2006 Ostrava Cup in the Czech Republic. (Bronze Medal)
- Competed at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games as a Middleweight. (Gold Medal) (Team Captain)
- Competed at the 2007 World Championships in Chicago, USA. (Team Captain)
- Competed at the 2007 Australia vs. Italy Dual Match. (Winner)
- Competed at the 2007 Oceania Championships in Samoa. (Gold Medal)
- Competed at the 2008 Oceania Championships in Samoa. (Gold Medal)
- Competed at the 2008 Chemistry Cup in Halle, Germany. (Team Captain)
- Competed at the 2008 International Boxing Grand Prix in the Czech Republic. (Gold Medal)
- Competed at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games as a Middleweight. (Team Captain)
Professional Title Won
- 'PABA Middleweight Title' - 13th November 2009.
(Pan Asian Boxing Assiciation)
- 'APBA Middleweight Title' - 29th October 2011.
(Asian Pacific Boxing Association)
- 'AUSTRALIAN Middleweight Title' - 24th February 2012.
(Australian National Boxing Federation)