|Competitor for Australia|
Name: Jarrod Fletcher
Alias: Left Jab
Born: 1983-10-20 (Age:31)
Birthplace: Moe, Victoria, Australia
Hometown: Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Height: 5′ 10½″ / 179cm
Reach: 70″ / 178cm
Boxing Record: click
Jarrod was born in Moe, Victoria on the 20th of October, 1983 & moved with his family to Hervey Bay, Queensland in 1990.
He started Boxing at age 10 along with his two brothers Glenn & Robbie, all trained by their father Dave, 'The Fighting Fletchers'!
Jarrod won his first 'State Title' at 10 years old & won one every year after that (9 in total). He only lost 4 out of 80 contests as a Junior, and racked up 8 'Australian Titles', Junior & Senior.
Jarrod was offered a Scholarship at the 'Australian Institute Of Sport' (AIS) in the 'High Performance Boxing Program' which saw him move to Canberra as a 17 year old. He stayed & trained out of the AIS for 7 years (November 2001 - August 2008). This gave him the opportunity to compete in many International Tournaments against world class opponents, including two 'Commonwealth Games' (2002 & 2006) and an 'Olympic Games' (2008).
He did his Country proud when he won a 'Gold Medal' in the 'Middleweight Division' at the '2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games' beating the likes of 'James DeGale' (who went on to become the '2008 Beijing Olympics' Middleweight Gold Medallist), & eventually defeating Canadian 'Adonis Stevenson' in the Final.
Jarrod also won the 'Gold Medal' at the 2007 & 2008 'Oceania Championships' in Samoa.
His Amateur Record spanned over 180 fights for 152 wins.
Jarrod turned Professional in 2009 and after only 2 Fights (both KO's), he fought New Zealander 'Dion McNabney' for the 'Pan Asian Boxing Association' (PABA) Middleweight Title. A Knockout in the 2nd Round saw him take home the Belt.
After a years break (due to injury), Jarrod is back better than ever in 2011 & has had another 5 Fights so far (4 won by KO and the other by a Unanimous Points Decision)
At present his Professional Record is 8 Fights for 8 Wins (7 KO's)!
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Jarrod was named as the '1999 Australian Junior Boxer Of The Year'.
- Jarrod was awarded the 'Australian Sports Medal For Services To The Sport Of Boxing' in 2000.
- Jarrod won the 'Jamie Nicholson Memorial Shield' as the 'Best Performed International Boxer' at both the '2002 & 2006 Australian National Championships'.
- Jarrod participated in the 'Queens Baton Relay' in 2002.
- Jarrod was awarded the 'A.C.T Sports Star Of The Month' in 2003.
- Jarrod was selected as 'Boxing Team Captain' for the '2006 Commonwealth Games' & the '2008 Olympic Games'.
- Jarrod won the 'Fraser Coast Sports Star Of The Year' in 2006.
- Jarrod was awarded 'The Keys To The City' by the Hervey Bay Mayor in 2006. Only the 3rd person to receive such an honour & the youngest person ever.
AMATEUR CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:
- Competed at the '2001 Patrons Cup' in Papua New Guinea. (GOLD MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2002 Four Nations Cup' in France. (SILVER MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2002 Oceania Championships' in New Zealand. (SILVER MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2002 World Cup' in Kazakstan.
- Competed at the '2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games' as a Welterweight. (5th PLACE)
- Competed at the '2003 Commonwealth Cup' in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (GOLD MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2004 Australia Vs Scotland/England Tournament'. (GOLD MEDAL) (Boxer Of The Tournament)
- Competed at the '2005 World Championships'. (Team Captain)
- Competed at the '2005 A.R.A.F.U.R.A Games' (SILVER MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2006 Norway Boxing Cup' in Oslo. (BRONZE MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2006 Tammer Cup' in Finland. (GOLD MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2006 Ostrava Cup' in the Czech Republic. (BRONZE MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games' as a Middleweight. (GOLD MEDAL) (Team Captain)
- Competed at the '2007 World Championships' in Chicago, USA. (Team Captain)
- Competed at the '2007 Australia Vs Italy Dual Match'. (WINNER)
- Competed at the '2007 Oceania Championships' in Samoa. (GOLD MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2008 Oceania Championships' in Samoa. (GOLD MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2008 Chemistry Cup' in Halle, Germany. (Team Captain)
- Competed at the '2008 International Boxing Grand Prix' in the Czech Republic. (GOLD MEDAL)
- Competed at the '2008 Beijing Olympic Games' as a Middleweight. (Team Captain)
- 'PABA Middleweight Title' (13th November 2009).