Joe Brown vs. Kenny Lane
1958-07-23 : Joe Brown 134¼ lbs beat Kenny Lane 134¼ lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Ernie Taylor 143-142
- Judge: Jimmy Webb 145-141
- Judge: Bill Cornelius 144-143
"Lightweight champion Joe Brown's thundering finish in the 15th round probably saved his 135 lb. title on the unanimous decision that snapped Kenny Lane's winning streak at 19. Brown wrapped up a successful 5th defense of the title in the 15th round when he twice staggered the southpaw with right uppercuts and left hooks and knocked out his mouthpiece for the second time in the fight. The champion bled from a nick on his left eyebrow and sported a small mouse under his right eye." -United Press International
- Unofficial UPI scorecard - 143-143 Draw
- Unofficial poll of 17 boxing writers at ringside had 13 favoring Brown, 3 for Lane and one scoring it even.
- Attendance - 10,994
- Gate - $69,203 (new Texas record)
- TV monies - $45,000
- Purses - $42,400 Brown, $21,200 Lane
Post fight comment
- "We'll stage a return title fight in late September at the Coliseum, if the managers are willing." -Rex Braun, President of Texas Boxing Enterprises, Inc.