Joe Calzaghe vs. Peter Manfredo Jr.
Revision as of 11:00, 3 August 2011 by Slugger
2007-04-07 : Joe Calzaghe 167¾ lbs beat Peter Manfredo Jr 166 lbs by TKO at 1:30 in round 3 of 12
- Location: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
- Referee: Terry O'Connor
- Judge: Harry Davis 20-18
- Judge: Jose Hiram Rivera 20-18
- Judge: Andre Van Grootenbruel 20-18
- World Boxing Organization Super Middleweight Title (20th. defending of Calzaghe)
- Promoter: Sports Network (Frank Warren)
- Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Attendance: some 35,000
- The fight was stopped by referee Terry O'Connor after a barrage of punches had Manfredo on the ropes. Manfredo and some commentators called the stoppage "premature," because Manfredo did not appear hurt, although people such as Emanuel Steward suggested that it would have been "only a minute or two" before Calzaghe had "ended things properly."
- Calzaghe tied Bernard Hopkins mark for 20 title defenses.
- Calzaghe had vacated his IBF title because he did not want to fight his mandatory challenger Robert Stieglitz, due to the lack of Stieglitz's popularity. Manfredo was more popular, because he fought in the ESPN-series "The Contender".
- Calzaghe defends his Ring Magazine super middleweight world title.