From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1973-01-22 : George Foreman 217½ lbs beat Joe Frazier 214 lbs by TKO at 2:26 in round 2 of 15
World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (Frazier defending)
World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (Frazier defending)
- Attendance was 36,000 and the gate was $412,000.
- Shown on closed circuit television in 225 locations in the U.S. and Canada.
- Frazier was guaranteed $850,000 against 42.5% of all income and Foreman was guaranteed $375,000 against 20% of all income.
- Frazier was made a 3½ to 1 favorite by Las Vegas odds makers.
- They wore eight-ounce gloves.
- Frazier was knocked down three times in the first round and three times in the second round before the referee stopped the bout to protect him from further punishment.
- The Ring Fight of the Year
- AP article