John Ruiz vs. James Toney
Revision as of 07:10, 13 April 2012 by Slugger
2005-04-30 : James Toney 233 lbs fought without result John Ruiz 241 lbs by ND in round 12 of 12
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Steve Smoger
- Judge: Don Ackerman 116-111
- Judge: Guy Jutras 116-111
- Judge: Tom Schreck 115-112
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (3rd defence of Ruiz)
- International Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (1st defence of Toney)
- Promoter: Don King Productions
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- Ruiz was down in 7th round.
- This fight was originally a unanimous decision win for James Toney.
- Ruiz announced a short lived retirement after the bout, which didn't last ten days.
- Following this bout James Toney tested positive for a banned substance and the decision was changed to a "No Decision" by the New York State Athletic Commission on Wednesday May 11th.
- On May 17, 2005, Ruiz regains recognition as WBA Heavyweight Champion.
Ruiz vs. Golota
| WBA Heavyweight Title Fight
Ruiz vs. Valuev I