Jose Luis Castillo vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. (1st meeting)
Revision as of 11:49, 18 October 2012 by Boxsoup
2002-04-20 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 134 lbs beat Jose Luis Castillo 134½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Vic Drakulich
- Judge: Anek Hongtongkam 116-111
- Judge: John Keane 115-111
- Judge: Jerry Roth 115-111
- Mayweather won the vacant Ring Magazine Lightweight Championship.
- Mayweather was a 4-1 favorite.
- Mayweather made $2.2 million and Castillo got $1.1 million.
- There was a crowd of 6,920 at the MGM Grand.
- Mayweather was able to keep the fight on the outside and outbox Castillo in the early rounds. All three judges gave Mayweather the first four rounds. Mayweather complained about his left shoulder to his corner between rounds. He later said he injured it in his last day of training. Castillo finally caught up to Mayweather in the sixth and seventh rounds, winning both rounds on all three scorecards. Castillo was able to get closer and land shots to the body and head.
- Referee Vic Drakulich took a point away from Castillo for hitting on the break in the eighth round. In the tenth round, Drakulich deducted a point from Mayweather for using his elbows.
- The crowd booed the decision.
- HBO unofficial scorer Harold Lederman had Castillo winning 115-111, The Associated Press had Mayweather winning 115-111, and Dan Rafael of USA Today had the fight 114-114.