Juan Diaz vs. Paul Malignaggi (1st meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
Revision as of 23:19, 22 August 2009 by Reenthelawman
2009-08-22 : Juan Diaz 137¼ lbs beat Paul Malignaggi 138¼ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Toyota Center, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Laurence Cole
- Judge: Gale E. Van Hoy 118-110
- Judge: Raul Caiz Sr 115-113
- Judge: David Sutherland 116-112
- Juan Diaz 34-2 (17 KOs) vs. Paul Malignaggi 26-2 (5 KOs)
- Diaz entered as the # 2 lightweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Malignaggi, a 4-1 underdog, was ranked the # 6 junior welterweight by the same publication
- Diaz came in with a record of 1-2 in his previous three bouts and was coming off the first knockout loss of his professional career; a 9th Round TKO to Juan Manuel Marquez six months earlier. Malignaggi was 1-1 in his last two with the defeat coming by way of 11th Round TKO to Ricky Hatton.
- For Diaz, it was his third consecutive bout to take place at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas.
- The broadcast included a seven-minute tribute to late world champions Alexis Arguello, Arturo Gatti and Vernon Forrest. All three died tragically in July.