Juan Diaz vs. Paul Malignaggi (1st meeting)
Revision as of 09:46, 23 August 2009 by Drdatabox
2009-08-22 : Juan Diaz 137¼ lbs beat Paul Malignaggi 138¼ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Toyota Center, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Laurence Cole
- Judge: Gale E. Van Hoy 118-110
- Judge: Raul Caiz Sr 115-113
- Judge: David Sutherland 116-112
- NABO Light Welterweight Title (Vacant Title)
- Aired On: HBO Boxing After Dark (Main Event)
- Announcers: Bob Papa, Lennox Lewis and Max Kellerman
- Juan Diaz 34-2 (17 KOs) vs. Paul Malignaggi 26-2 (5 KOs)
- Diaz entered as the # 2 lightweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Malignaggi, a 4-1 underdog, was ranked the # 6 junior welterweight by the same publication
- Diaz came in with a record of 1-2 in his previous three bouts and was coming off the first knockout loss of his professional career; a 9th Round TKO to Juan Manuel Marquez six months earlier. Malignaggi was 1-1 in his last two with the defeat coming by way of 11th Round TKO to Ricky Hatton.
- For Diaz, it was his third consecutive bout to take place at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas.
- The broadcast included a seven-minute tribute to late world champions Alexis Arguello, Arturo Gatti and Vernon Forrest. All three died tragically in July.
- Title had been vacated by Victor Ortiz.
- Compubox Blows; Malignaggi 191/949 20%, Diaz 178/663 27%.
- Data Boxing Stats: Controls- Malignaggi 76, circling while jabbing, Diaz 47, moving in.
- In a very busy bout of 145 Events Per Round (Attempts + Controls), Malignaggi had a 59 to 41% dominance.
Ortiz vs. Arnaoutis
| NABO Light Welterweight Title Fight