Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Juan Diaz (1st meeting)
Revision as of 22:23, 1 March 2009 by Sweetscientist
2009-02-28 : Juan Manuel Marquez 134¼ lbs beat Juan Diaz 134½ lbs by TKO at 2:40 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Toyota Center, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Rafael Ramos
- Judge: Levi Martinez 76-76
- Judge: Duane Ford 75-77
- Judge: Max DeLuca 77-75
Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- World Boxing Organization Lightweight Title (Vacant)
- World Boxing Association Lightweight Title (Vacant)
- International Boxing Organization Lightweight Title (1st defense by Diaz)
- Juan Manuel Marquez came in ranked as the # 2 fighter pound-for-pound and the # 1 lightweight in the world by The Ring Magazine. Juan Diaz came in as the # 2 lightweight in the world by the same publication.
- In the post-fight interview with HBO's Max Kellerman, Marquez said that he would like to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. since, his first choice, Manny Pacquiao said he was not interested in a third meeting. Either way, Marquez said he would likely move up in weight class for his next fight.
- Marquez defends his Ring Magazine Lightweight World Title.