Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Manny Pacquiao (1st meeting)
2004-05-08 : Manny Pacquiao 125 lbs drew with Juan Manuel Marquez 125 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: John Stewart 115-110
- Judge: Burt A. Clements 113-113
- Judge: Guy Jutras 110-115
Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- World Boxing Association Featherweight Title (1st defending of Marquez)
- International Boxing Federation Featherweight Title (2nd defending of Marquez)
- Marquez down three times in the first round.
- Marquez was bleeding heavily from the nose following Round 1.
- Pacquiao defended his Ring Magazine featherweight world title.
Judge Guy Jutras scored the fight 115-110 for Marquez, while judge John Stewart scored it 115-110 for Pacquiao.
The third judge, Burt Clements, had a 113-113 tie. His scoring included a 10-7 opening round because, he admitted later, he did not realize he could give a 10-6 round. If Clements had scored the opening round 10-6, as the other two judges had, Pacquiao would have won by 113-112 on Clements's card and earned a split decision.
"I just screwed up," Clements said. "I feel badly because I dropped the ball, plainly and simply. You can make a lot of arguments that it was a very close fight, but that's immaterial. The fact is, I dropped the ball."
Marc Ratner, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, ruled that Clements's admission was no grounds for a protest.
Kevin Iole; Las Vegas Review-Journal Sunday, May 09, 2004
Dan Rafael, USA TODAY Updated 5/9/2004 1:49 AM
Photocopy of Scorecards provided by FightNews.com
Michael Katz, The New York Times May 10, 2004