Kelly Pavlik vs. Sergio Gabriel Martinez
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
Revision as of 13:34, 2 January 2011 by Slugger
2010-04-17 : Kelly Pavlik 159½ lbs lost to Sergio Gabriel Martinez 159½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: David Fields
- Judge: Craig Metcalfe 112-115
- Judge: Barbara Perez 111-115
- Judge: Roberto Ramirez Sr. 111-116
- Pavlik cut left eyebrow in 1st round. Martinez down in 7th round for a flash knockdown and he was given an eight count, all three judges scoring the seventh round 10-8 in favour of Pavlik, although Martinez later claimed it was an accidental fall, when their feet got tangled up. Pavlik cut also right eyebrow.
- The Associated Press scored it 115-112.
- Martinez appeared to win the first four rounds, Pavlik the next four rounds, and Martinez the last four rounds. According to promoter Bob Arum after the bout, " An easy fight to score."
- Martinez' corner told him to put the pressure on from the ninth round on, aggressively going after Pavlik's eye cuts and turning Pavlik's face bloody for the rest of the bout.
- Martinez' hands were down the entire bout, yet he landed fast jabs to the head and body which Pavlik could not stop at times. Martinez appeared to find his distance range.
- Speed, according to Martinez in the post fight press conference, was his best weapon. Hand speed Pavlik could not match, and foot speed Pavlik could not adjust to. In the corner after the tenth round, Pavlik stated "I can't hit him! I can't hit him!"
- Pavlik appeared to throw only one body punch the whole bout. He spent the night headhunting and loading up on the right, but it landed consistently only in rounds 5, 6, 7, and 8.
- Martinez' corner called Pavlik "a great champion". They stated Pavlik showed great courage fighting the last few rounds despite a great deal of blood, which affected his vision.
- Promoter Lou DiBella acknowledged that Pavlik has a mandatory rematch clause in the fight contract, which Pavlik can exercise at his discretion. Martinez camp stated in post fight press conference "He (Pavlik) can have a rematch whenever he wants."
- Martinez' camp stated in the post fight press conference that Martinez has 15 days to decide which belts he chooses to keep, junior middleweight or middleweight. His camp favored the 154 pound weight class.
- Martinez' camp acknowledged this win was first new middleweight title for an Argentinian fighter in over 40 years since Carlos Monzon, who they remembered. Martinez stated in the press conference his pride at bringing the title to Argentina again.
- Boxer Paul Williams was in attendance at ringside. Total attendance for this boxing card at Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall was 6,179.