Ken Norton vs. Larry Holmes
Revision as of 09:27, 9 June 2011 by Boxing scholar
1978-06-09 : Larry Holmes 209 lbs beat Ken Norton 220 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Caesars Palace, Sports Pavilion, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Mills Lane
- Judge: Harold Buck 143-142
- Judge: Joe Swessel 143-142
- Judge: Lou Tabat 142-143
World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title
- Promoter: Don King
- The Associated Press scored the bout 143-142 for Norton.
- WBC Heavyweight Champion of the World Ken Norton was late in his prime for his first title defense vs. Larry Holmes, who was early in his peak.
- Holmes-Norton is ranked as the 10th greatest heavyweight fight of all time by Monte D. Cox, a member of the International Boxing Research Organization (IBRO).
- The September 1998 issue of The Ring magazine listed the final round of this bout as one of "The 12 Greatest Finishes of All Time."
- After winning the title from Norton on a split-decision by one point, Holmes continued as World Heavyweight Champion until 1985.
- Holmes is the second longest reigning World Heavyweight Champion in the history of boxing, behind Joe Louis.
- The 1998 Holiday Issue of The Ring ranked Holmes # 5 and Norton # 22 in "The 50 Greatest Heavyweights of All Time."
Sources: The Ring-September 1998 and Holiday 1998, Data Boxing, Cox's Corner, BoxRec Boxing Encyclopedia