Ken Norton vs. Larry Holmes
Revision as of 21:56, 5 September 2012 by Earl
1978-06-09 : Larry Holmes 209 lbs beat Ken Norton 220 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Caesars Palace, Sports Pavilion, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Mills Lane
- Judge: Harold Buck 143-142
- Judge: Joe Swessel 143-142
- Judge: Lou Tabat 142-143
- Norton was an 8 to 5 favorite.
- Holmes vs. Norton is ranked as the 10th greatest heavyweight fight of all time by Monte D. Cox, a member of the International Boxing Research Organization (IBRO).
- The March 2001 issue of The Ring magazine ranked the final round of Holmes vs. Norton 7th on the list "The Most Exciting Rounds In Boxing History."
- The 1998 Holiday Issue of The Ring magazine ranked Holmes 5th and Norton 22nd on the list "The 50 Greatest Heavyweights of All Time."
- Based on Norton's win over Jimmy Young in a title eliminator, the WBC awarded the title to Norton after they stripped Leon Spinks. After losing the title to Holmes in his first defense, Norton became the only heavyweight champion in history never to win a heavyweight title fight.
- After defeating Norton, Holmes held the WBC championship until 1983. He vacated the title after a dispute with the WBC and promoter Don King. Holmes then accepted recognition as champion by the newly-formed IBF and held their title until 1985.
- Holmes is the second longest reigning World Heavyweight Champion in the history of boxing, behind Joe Louis.