From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1978-06-09 : Larry Holmes 209 lbs beat Ken Norton 220 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- WBC Heavyweight Title
- Weights: Holmes 209, Norton 220
- Referee: Mills Lane
- Judge: Harold Bock 143-142 | Judge: Joe Swessel 143-142 | Judge: Lou Tabat 142-143
- Promoter: Don King
- The September 1998 issue of The Ring magazine listed the final round of this bout as one of "The 12 Greatest Finishes of All Time."
- Holmes vs. Norton is ranked as the 10th greatest heavyweight fight of all time by Monte D. Cox, a member of the International Boxing Research Organization (IBRO).
- The 1998 Holiday Issue of Ring ranked Holmes # 5 and Norton # 22 in "The 50 Greatest Heavyweights of All Time."
- Larry Holmes continued as World Heavyweight Champion until 1985. Holmes is the second longest reigning World Heavyweight Champion in the history of boxing, behind Joe Louis.