Lamon Brewster vs. Wladimir Klitschko (1st meeting)
2004-04-10 : Lamon Brewster 226 lbs beat Wladimir Klitschko 243 lbs by TKO at 3:00 in round 5 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Robert Byrd
- Judge: Duane Ford
- Judge: Jerry Roth
- Judge: Paul Thomas
- World Boxing Organization Heavyweight Title (vacant)
- Lamon Brewster 29-2 (26 KOs) vs. Wladimir Klitschko 42-2 (39 KOs)
- Klitschko entered as the # 1 WBO heavyweight contender with Brewster ranked # 2 by the organization.
- Fight was for the vacant title after the reigning champ, Corrie Sanders, had relinquished the belt in order to fight Vitali Klitschko for the WBC title.
As the opening bell rang, Brewster went in aggressively throwing and looking to get on the inside and past Klistchko's reach. Wladimir had a solid round and working the jab and found success with the left hook. Klitschko was warned in Round 1 for pushing Brewster and it was an obvious strategy for Klitschko to drive Brewster backward in each clinch. In the 2nd, Wladimir continued to pump the jab at a high rate and landed a decent right hand in the final seconds of the round. Brewster had trouble getting past the jab and aside of a left hand had trouble mounting much offensively. In Round 3, Klitschko was warned for leaning on his opponent in clinches.
Sanders vs. W. Klitschko
| WBO Heavyweight Title Fight
Brewster vs. Meehan