Larry Holmes vs. Michael Spinks (2nd meeting)
1986-04-19 : Larry Holmes 223 lbs lost to Michael Spinks 205 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Las Vegas Hilton, Hilton Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Mills Lane
- Judge: Joe Cortez 144-141
- Judge: Frank Brunette 141-144
- Judge: Jerry Roth 142-144
- Unofficial UPI scorecard: 143-142 Spinks
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 143-142 Holmes
- International Boxing Federation Heavyweight Title (1st defending of Spinks)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5, Photo #6, Photo #7, Photo #8, Photo #9
"Michael Spinks survived near knockdowns in the 14th and 15th rounds Saturday night to win a split decision over Larry Holmes and retain his IBF heavyweight title. With both fighters spent, Holmes nevertheless summoned enough power in a series of right hands to send Spinks walking helplessly around the ring late in the 14th round. Holmes didn't have enough to finish him off, and Spinks controlled most of the toe-to-toe 15th round with unanswered flurries to Holmes' head. However, Holmes buckled Spinks' knees, and the champion spent the final seconds dancing backward out of trouble." - United Press International
"I fight well under pressure. You back me into the corner and I will fight out of that corner."
"The judges, referees and promoters can kiss me where the sun don't shine—and because we're on HBO, that's my big black behind."