Leon Spinks vs. Muhammad Ali (2nd meeting)
Revision as of 06:31, 28 July 2012 by Boxsoup
1978-09-15 : Muhammad Ali 221 lbs beat Leon Spinks 201 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Superdome, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Referee: Lucien Joubert 10-4
- Judge: Ernie Cojoe 10-4
- Judge: Herman Preis 11-4
- The fight was televised live on ABC, which estimated an audience of 90 million.
- Attendance at the Superdome was 63,350. It was the largest indoor attendance ever for a boxing match.
- Ali regained the WBA title and avenged his split decision loss to Spinks from seven months prior. He also became the first man to win the World Heavyweight Championship three times.
- Ali sent an official letter of retirement to the WBA in June of 1979. Promoter Bob Arum said he paid Ali $300,000 to announce his retirement because Ali's reluctance had delayed the scheduling of a fight between John Tate and Gerrie Coetzee for the vacant WBA title. "We knew Muhammad Ali was going to retire," Arum said, "but as long as he delayed, I couldn't make definite plans."
- "I know this will be my last fight. I'll be three times champion" - Ali before the fight
- "I killed myself to get ready for Spinks. I suffered and sacrificed more than I ever did. There's nothing left for me to gain by fighting" - Ali after the fight