Marco Antonio Barrera vs. Juan Manuel Marquez
2007-03-17 : Juan Manuel Marquez 129 lbs beat Marco Antonio Barrera 130 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judge: Patricia Morse Jarman 116-111
- Judge: Paul Smith 116-111
- Judge: Doug Tucker 118-109
- World Boxing Council Super Featherweight Title (5th. defending of Barrera)
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judges scoring: Patricia Morse Jarman (116-111), Paul Smith (116-111), Doug Tucker (118-109)
- Weights: Marquez 129 lbs, Barrera 130 lbs
- Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez faced off in an extremely competitive battle that was not accurately represented by the large margins in scores which favored Marquez. The tactical battle was back and forth throughout the entire contest. Barrera started out fast, while Marquez started controlling the action over rounds 3 through 5. Marquez hurt Barrera with a hard right hand in round 7, but Marquez was dropped shortly afterwards due to a picture-perfect counter right hand. Jay Nady, who hesitated, did not immediately step in to rule on what was seemingly a knockdown. During Nady's hesitation, Barrera struck Marquez on the head while Marquez was on all fours. As a result, the knockdown was not counted, and Barrera was penalized 1 point. This likely led to a 10-8 round in the 7th, in favor of Marquez. As a fight came to a close, the same competitive back and forth action continued which made fans believe that the fight itself would be extremely close on the official scorecards. Much to most viewers' dismay, the scorecards were incredibly wide for Marquez, and the missed call by Jay Nady did not make a difference in the fight's decision.
BoxingTimes.com scored the bout 114-113 for Marquez.
15Rounds.com scored the bout 115-112 for Marquez.
Harold Lederman scored the bout 114-113 for Barrera.
ESPN.com scored the bout 116-111 for Marquez.