Marlon Starling vs. Mark Breland (2nd meeting)
Revision as of 13:52, 8 June 2010 by Emaster
1988-04-16 : Marlon Starling 146½ lbs drew with Mark Breland 146 lbs by PTS in round 12 of 12
- Location: Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Mills Lane
- Judge: Jerry Roth 116-113
- Judge: Neffie Quintana 114-114
- Judge: Dave Moretti 114-115
- "By the reaction of the fans, who booed and shouted obscenities when the result was announced, Starling had the fight his way in every respect but the decision of the judges." (New York Times April 18, 1988)
- Blows: Breland 182/455 40%, head 152/409, body 30/46; Starling 137/337 41%, head 71/215, body 66/122.
- Starling stung Breland with an overhand right in round one. He scored with another right and left hook to to the head in round four. Starling scored more than ten blows in rounds two, three, four, ten, and eleven. Breland scored more than ten blows in all but round five.
- Starling suffered a puff under his left eye from round six on.