Matthew Saad Muhammad
Name: Matthew Saad Muhammad
Alias: Matthew Franklin
Birth Name: Maxwell Antonio Loach
Birthplace: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Died: 2014-05-25 (Age:59)
Hometown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Height: 5′ 11″ / 180cm
Reach: 75″ / 191cm
Boxing Record: click
Trainer: Sam Solomon
Cut Men: Adolph Ritacco, Milt Bailey
Matthew Saad Muhammad Gallery
- Matthew Saad Muhammad was born Maxwell Antonio Loach in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His mother died when he was five. He was taken in by his aunt, but was soon abandoned. When he was found by police on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, he was taken to the Catholic Social Services, where the nuns gave him the first name Matthew, after the saint, and the last name Franklin, after the parkway on which he was found.
- Shortly after winning the WBC light heavyweight title, he converted to Islam and changed his name to Matthew Saad Muhammad.
Awards & Recognition by The Ring
- Named his title-winning effort against Marvin Johnson the 35th greatest title fight of all-time.
- Named the 8th round of his second fight with Marvin Johnson the 1979 Round of the Year.
- Named his title defense against Yaqui Lopez the 1980 Fight of the Year and the 84th greatest title fight of all-time.
- Named the 8th round of his second fight with Yaqui Lopez the 1980 Round of the Year and the 8th greatest round of all-time.
- Named the 10th greatest light heavyweight of all-time.
- Named the 24th greatest puncher of all-time.
| WBC Light Heavyweight Champion
1979 Apr 22 – 1981 Dec 19