Max Baer vs. Jim Braddock
1935-06-13 : Max Baer 210½ lbs lost to Jim Braddock 194 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden Bowl, Long Island City, Queens, New York, USA
- Referee: Johnny McAvoy 5-9
- Judge: Charley Lynch 4-11
- Judge: George Kelly 7-7
During much of the fight Braddock kept dodging and blocking Baer's punches (especially the right hand), while sticking his own jab sharply to Baer's face, although he was forced to take heavy punches from Baer in the later rounds. Baer feinted a knockdown in the 8th round.
- Unofficial AP scorecard 7-7-1 Draw
- Referee Johnny McAvoy took rounds 5, 9 and 12 away from Baer for hitting low or back-handing.
- Weights also reported to be: Baer 209 1/2 and Braddock 191 3/4.
- Baer was favored 10-to-1 to win this fight.
- Venue: Madison Square Garden Bowl, which was nick-named "The Graveyard of Champions" because no reigning champion ever successfully defended his title here.
- Whitey Bimstein was in Braddock's corner.
- 12 photos of this bout were published in the August 1935 The Ring magazine, pp. 5-7 (plus there was a huge Braddock article)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Newspaper Headline
- The 1998 Holiday Issue of The Ring ranked Max Baer #20 and James Braddock #45 in "The 50 Greatest Heavyweights of All Time."