From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1983-09-23 : Gerrie Coetzee 215 lbs beat Michael Dokes 217 lbs by KO at 3:08 in round 10 of 15
- Dokes was a 5-1 favorite.
- There was a crowd of about 7,000 at the Richmond Coliseum, which was about ten miles from Dokes' hometown of Akron.
- About 15 people protesting Apartheid in South Africa, Coetzee's home country, distributed leaflets to fans as they arrived for the fight.
- Dokes was dropped to one knee in the fifth round by a right.
- A right dropped Dokes two seconds before the end of the tenth round and he was counted out.
- Named The Ring magazine Upset of the Year for 1983.
- Dokes later told Sports Illustrated that he trained for the Coetzee fight on Jack Daniel's and cocaine.