Michael Dokes vs. Gerrie Coetzee
Revision as of 12:00, 9 October 2012 by Boxsoup
1983-09-23 : Gerrie Coetzee 215 lbs beat Michael Dokes 217 lbs by KO at 3:08 in round 10 of 15
- Location: Richfield Coliseum, Richfield, Ohio, USA
- Referee: Tony Perez
- Judge: Fernando Viso 87-86
- Judge: Samuel Conde Lopez 87-85
- Judge: Guy Jutras 88-85
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Dokes)
- Dokes was a 5-1 favorite.
- There was a crowd of about 7,000 at the Richmond Coliseum, which was about ten miles from Dokes' hometown of Akron.
- About 15 people protesting Apartheid in South Africa, Coetzee's home country, distributed leaflets to fans as they arrived for the fight.
- Dokes was dropped to one knee in the fifth round by a right.
- A right dropped Dokes two seconds before the end of the tenth round and he was counted out.
- Named The Ring magazine Upset of the Year for 1983.
- Dokes later told Sports Illustrated that he trained for the Coetzee fight on Jack Daniel's and cocaine.