Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield (1st meeting)
1996-11-09 : Mike Tyson 222 lbs lost to Evander Holyfield 215 lbs by TKO at 0:37 in round 11 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Mitch Halpern
- Judge: Dalby Shirley 92-96
- Judge: Frederico Vollmer 93-100
- Judge: Jerry Roth 92-96
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title
- Time: 0:37
- Weights: Tyson 222 lbs, Holyfield 215 lbs
- Named The Ring magazine Fight of the Year and Upset of the Year for 1996.
- Tyson down in the sixth round
- See also, Evander Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson (2nd meeting)
- First major boxing pay-per-view promotion in the twenty year television career of Showtime's executive producer Jay Larkin
The fight Holyfield vs Tyson should have already taken place in 1990 respectively 1991. The 90 date fell through because the Buster Douglas accident happened and the 91 clash couldn’t take place because Mike hurt his hip during a work-out. Tyson complained that Evander used headbutts which should become an important element in their 2nd clashhame for a former two times heavyweight champion, but when the public saw how confident Evander was the odds went down to 6-1 still in favour of Mike.
Holyfield had Tyson down in the sixth as well as in the tenth. Tyson fought on bravely but in the 11th round referee Mitch Halperin stopped the contest.
Tyson congratulated Holyfield to his victory.
Tyson had underestimated Holyfield, he thought that his would be a short night but when Holyfield did not go down within the first five rounds Tyson ran out of ideas, that simply did not belong to Tyson's fight plan.