Montell Griffin vs. Roy Jones Jr. (2nd meeting)
Revision as of 23:27, 7 July 2008 by Rowdytimothy
1997-08-07 : Montell Griffin 174 lbs lost to Roy Jones Jr 175 lbs by KO at 2:31 in round 1 of 12
- Location: Foxwoods Resort, Mashantucket, Connecticut, USA
- Referee: Arthur Mercante
- Judge: Tony Castellano
- Judge: Tom Kaczmarek
- Judge: Dick Flaherty
- WBC Light Heavyweight Title (1st defense of Griffin)
- Weights: Griffin 174, Jones 175
- Time: 2:31
- Promoter: Square Ring, Inc.
- Griffin was knocked down.
- After this bout, Jones made his intentions to fight Heavyweight James 'Buster' Douglas on May 20, 1998 instead of Michael Nunn, the WBC mandated challenger. The WBC title was then declared vacant and contested between #1 rated Nunn and #2 rated Graciano Rocchigiani on 03-21-1998, which Rocchigiani won. However, shortly after that fight the WBC illegally down-graded Rocchigiani's classification to that of an 'interim' champion, and then stripped him outright, having declared Roy Jones as being the champion in recess. Graciano sued the WBC and was awarded $31 million in damages. Also as a result of this lawsuit, a United States District Judge retroactively restored Rocchigiani’s official WBC Light Heavyweight championship status in April 2003, but only from 03-28-98 to 08-10-1996, when he lost to Dariusz Michalczewski.