Muhammad Ali vs. Chuck Wepner
Revision as of 22:57, 4 August 2012 by Boxsoup
1975-03-24 : Muhammad Ali 223½ lbs beat Chuck Wepner 225 lbs by TKO at 2:41 in round 15 of 15
- Location: Richfield Coliseum, Richfield, Ohio, USA
- Referee: Tony Perez
- Judge: Jackie Keough 136-129
- Judge: Sam Taormina 138-129
- Ali toyed with Wepner through the first eight rounds.
- In the ninth round, Wepner stepped on Ali's foot and hit him with a right to the ribs, which knocked the champion flat on his back for an official knockdown.
- Using his speed and agility, Ali dominated the tenth through the fifteenth rounds.
- In the fifteenth round, Ali battered Wepner's bloodied face until the "Bayonne Bleeder" crumpled into the ropes.
- Wepner beat referee Tony Perez's count, but Perez stopped the fight as Wepner was visibly shaken and unable to continue.
- Said by Sylvester Stallone to be the inspiration for the Oscar-winning film Rocky (1976).