Nonito Donaire vs. Hernan Marquez
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
(Difference between revisions)
|(One intermediate revision by one user not shown)|
Latest revision as of 02:48, 30 July 2011
2010-07-10 : Nonito Donaire 114½ lbs beat Hernan Marquez 115 lbs by TKO at 2:59 in round 8 of 12
- Location: Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Referee: Roberto Ramirez Sr.
- Judge: Ignacio Robles 68-64
- Judge: Cesar Ramos 69-63
- Judge: Raul Nieves 68-64
- Interim World Boxing Association World Super Flyweight Title (1st defense by Donaire)
 Bout Summary
- Interim WBA super flyweight champion Nonito Donaire of the Philippines stated after this bout this would be his final bout of his career at super flyweight. Donaire stated he was moving up to bantamweight because it was too much of a struggle for him to make weight of 115 at super flyweight. Donaire went toe-to-toe with Marquez in center ring, both men in the southpaw stance for four rounds. Donaire switched back to orthodox stance in the fifth. A left hook-right hand combination by Donaire sent Marquez's right hand to the canvas later in the round. Donaire began doubling up on his combinations, landing left-right, left-right, wearing Marquez down. A Donaire left uppercut had Marquez helpless and out, forcing a TKO stoppage by the referee at 2:59 of round 8.