Nonito Donaire vs. Jeffrey Mathebula
Revision as of 19:39, 7 July 2012 by Sweetscientist
2012-07-07 : Nonito Donaire 121½ lbs beat Jeffrey Mathebula 121¾ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Home Depot Center, Carson, California, USA
- Referee: Pat Russell
- Judge: Deon Dwarte 119-108
- Judge: Jonathan Davis 117-110
- Judge: Steve Morrow 118-109
- Promoter: Top Rank
- Ring Announcer: Lupe Contreras
- Aired On: HBO Boxing After Dark (Main Event)
- World Boxing Organization Super Bantamweight Title (1st defense by Donaire)
- International Boxing Federation Super Bantamweight Title (1st defense by Mathebula)
Donaire dropped Mathebula with a counter left hook in the final seconds of Round 4. Mathebula got to his feet at the count of seven and staggered to his corner as the round had ended.
- Nonito Donaire 28-1 (18 KOs) vs. Jeffrey Mathebula 26-3-2 (14 KOs)
- Donaire entered as the # 3 junior featherweight contender by The Ring Magazine. Mathebula was ranked as the # 6 contender by the same publication.
- It was the second professional fight for Donaire at the 122-pound limit.
- It was the United States debut for Mathebula and only his second fight outside his native South Africa.