Nonito Donaire vs. Raul Martinez
2009-04-19 : Nonito Donaire 111½ lbs beat Raul Martinez 112 lbs by TKO at 2:42 in round 4 of 12
- Location: Araneta Coliseum, Barangay Cubao, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
- Referee: Pete Podgorski
- Judge: Muhammad Rois 30-24
- Judge: Larry Hazzard Jr. 30-24
- Judge: John Wright 30-24
Promoter: Top Rank - (Main Event)
- International Boxing Federation Flyweight Title (3rd defense by Donaire)
- International Boxing Organization Flyweight Title (3rd defense by Donaire)
- Nonito Donaire 20-1 (13 KOs) vs. Raul Martinez 24-0 (14 KOs)
- Donaire came in ranked as the # 1 flyweight in the world by The Ring Magazine. Martinez despite being the IBF's # 1 contender was unranked by The Ring publication.
A left uppercut/hook sent Martinez down in the opening round. He remained on one knee to gather himself before making it to his feet at the count of eight. Martinez was put down a second time in the round from another left uppercut. He was up quickly and received the mandatory eight-count.
A left hand at 1:10 of Round 3 put Martinez down for a 3rd time in the fight. He appeared able to maintain his composure despite being hit hard and mounted a decent offense toward the end of the round, landing a few overhand rights. Between rounds the referee told the Martinez corner that he needed to stay on his feet and show some defense if he wanted the bout to continue.
In Round 4, Martinez was stunned by another perfect left uppercut and sent stumbling back and down for the fourth time in the fight. The referee immediately called an end to the bout.
In the post-fight interview, Donaire said he would likely be moving up to either 115 or 118lbs as he did feel somewhat weak in his legs in preparation for this fight.