Difference between revisions of "Paul Williams vs. Erislandy Lara"
Revision as of 22:18, 8 July 2011
2011-07-09 : Paul Williams 153½ lbs beat Erislandy Lara 153 lbs by MD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Samuel Viruet
- Judge: Donald Givens 116-114
- Judge: Hilton Whitaker III 115-114
- Judge: Al Bennett 114-114
- Paul Williams 39-2 (27 KOs) vs. Erislandy Lara 15-0-1 (10 KOs)
- Williams and HBO originally agreed to a main-event bout with Nobuhiro Ishida, who was coming of a big upset win over then-undefeated James Kirkland. After receiving criticism for the matchup, however, HBO withdrew its approval. 
- Williams entered the fight coming off a brutal 2nd round knockout loss to Sergio Gabriel Martinez. Lara entered having been held in his previous bout to an upset draw by fringe contender Carlos Molina.