Paul Williams vs. Erislandy Lara
2011-07-09 : Paul Williams 153½ lbs beat Erislandy Lara 153 lbs by MD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Samuel Viruet
- Judge: Donald Givens 116-114
- Judge: Hilton Whitaker Jr 115-114
- Judge: Al Bennett 114-114
- Paul Williams 39-2 (27 KOs) vs. Erislandy Lara 15-0-1 (10 KOs)
- Williams entered as the # 4 middleweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Lara, a 2.8/1 betting underdog , was unranked by the same publication. 
- Bout was a WBC Middleweight Title eliminator.
- Williams and HBO originally agreed to a main-event bout with Nobuhiro Ishida, who was coming of a big upset win over then-undefeated James Kirkland. After receiving criticism for the matchup, however, HBO withdrew its approval. 
- Williams entered the fight coming off a brutal 2nd round knockout loss to Sergio Gabriel Martinez. Lara entered having been held in his previous bout to an upset draw by fringe contender Carlos Molina.
- Williams rehydrated to 170 lbs. and Lara to 160 lbs.
- Lara worked with trainer Ronnie Shields for eight weeks leading up to the bout. Shields, however, was not in Lara's corner for the bout as he was with Kermit Cintron who had a previously scheduled bout on the same night.
- Prior to the bout a memorial ten count was held for the recently deceased Bouie Fisher, Billy Costello and George Kimball.
Harold Lederman's Scoring: Through Round 3: 30-27 in favor of Lara.
Williams came out throwing his rangy jab and straight left hand. Lara, despite a big size deficit, was able to land effectively and caught Williams with a par of nice power left hands. Lara was warned near the end of the round for a punch that landed to the back of Williams's head. Williams had a stronger opening to the 2nd round stepping up his aggression. Lara continued to fire the straight left hand down the middle with some success. Williams was warned in the final minute for holding. In Round 3, Williams outpaced his opponent and came forward. Lara, who was outpunched statistically, likely landed the cleaner shots. Action was paused early in Round 4 as a punch from Williams strayed low. In the 5th, a clash of heads opened a cut above the left eye of Paul Williams and a large knot appeared to Lara's left temple.