Ralph Dupas vs. Garnet Hart
1958-12-26 : Ralph Dupas 143½ lbs lost to Garnet Hart 144½ lbs by SD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Auditorium, Miami Beach, Florida, USA
- Referee: Jimmy Peerless 98-97
- Judge: Gus Jacobson 95-96
- Judge: Stuart Winston 94-97
"Sugar Hart of Philadelphia, an 11-5 underdog, won a split 10 round decision over Ralph Dupas of New Orleans last night before 2,846 paying fans at the Miami Beach Auditorium. Hart, winning his 26th bout in 31 starts, forced the action in every round and landed the harder punches; but fast-stepping Dupas landed the most leather and did the most damage. Hart required three stitches on the brow of his swollen right eye, and his nose bled profusely in the 9th round. Dupas suffered a nick on his left brow in the 10th. There were no knockdowns." -United Press International
- Unofficial UPI scorecard - 95-94 Dupas
- Unofficial AP scorecard - 97-94 Hart
- Angelo Dundee, Dupas' irate trainer, referred to judges Jacobson and Winston as "two blind mice."
Post fight comments
- "Let's sign now for a title fight. Hart's going to be the next champion, anyway." -Marty Stein, Hart's manager, to Harry Markson, IBC managing director.
- "Let's talk about a possible match with Vince Martinez at Philadelphia." -Harry Markson, replying to Stein.