Randall (Tex) Cobb
Revision as of 16:05, 14 February 2013 by Elguapo427
- Cobb's date of birth has also been listed as May 7, 1950.
- Cobb graduated from Abilene (TX) High School in 1968 and Abilene Christian College in 1972. He later went back to school and got a BS degree from Temple University in 2008
- Cobb was also a kickboxer and fought for the PKA Heavyweight Championship in 1984. He had a record of 9-2, with 9 knockouts.
- Cobb has appeared in numerous films, most notably The Champ, Uncommon Valor, Raising Arizona, Fletch Lives, Ernest Goes to Jail, The Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult, and the opening sequence of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. He also has appeared in many television shows, such as Miami Vice, The X-Files, and Walker, Texas Ranger.
- A 1993 Sports Illustrated article alleged that Cobb had participated in a fixed fight with Sonny Barch and had used cocaine with Barch and promoter Rick "Elvis" Parker before and after the fight. Cobb said the magazine libeled him, and he sued for $150 million. In 1999, a jury awarded Cobb $8.5 million in compensatory damages and $2.2 million in punitive damages. However, the verdict was overturned in 2002 by a federal appeals court, which said that the article wasn't published with "actual malice." The magazine did not interview the referee and other ringside officials who were at the match, which tends to show that the magazine "might not have acted as a prudent reporter would have acted," the ruling stated. "But the actual malice standard requires more than just proof of negligence."
Randall (Tex) Cobb Quotes
- "All I do is hit somebody in the mouth. It's a whole lot easier than working for a living. Don't make anything noble out of what I do."
- "I've always thought the greatest crime a man can do is take himself too seriously. I mean, something like fighting is pretty ridiculous to take seriously. What I do is hit people, I'm not promoting anything that is real or valuable."
- "Boxing writers are the only people out there who have less constructive jobs than what I do. I don't do nothing but hit people, and those mothers don't do nothing but write about what I do!"
- "If you screw up in tennis, it's 15-love. If you screw up in boxing, it's your ass, darling!"
- "No one hits as hard as Shavers. If there was a fighter that hit harder than Shavers, I shoot him!"
- "Sure, I'd love to fight him. But I have my price, twenty-five cents and a loose woman." - On the possibility of a fight with Gerry Cooney.
- "Hey, you're a white guy, do something about this!" - To the referee in the Larry Holmes fight.
- "I don't think his hands could take the abuse." - On a possible rematch with Holmes.
- "I wasn't talking to Holmes in there. Every time I felt like saying something to him I found it hard because he kept putting his left hand in my mouth."
- "If I eliminate heart disease, if I walk on water, if I come up with a cure for crippled kids, I can't image a greater gift to mankind. That is my greatest accomplishment." - On Howard Cosell's decision to quit covering boxing because he was so disgusted by Cobb's one-sided loss to Holmes
- "He has screwed everybody he has ever been around. Hog, dog, or frog, it don't matter to Don. If you got a quarter, he wants the first 26 cents." - On promoter Don King
- "Yeah, I've been KO'd. Once. By a Mexican bantamweight. How come? Six of my buddies were swinging him around by the heels at the time."