Difference between revisions of "Ricardo Mayorga"

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search
(added category)
Line 31: Line 31:
[[Category:World Welterweight Champions|Mayorga, Ricardo]]
[[Category:World Welterweight Champions|Mayorga, Ricardo]]
[[Category:Nicaraguan World Champions|Mayorga, Ricardo]]

Revision as of 18:13, 21 January 2005

ANNOUNCED RETIREMENT: OCTOBER 4, 2004: After suffering an 8th round TKO loss to Felix Trinidad two days ago.


Son of Eddy Mayorga and Miriam P�rez, Ricardo was born October 3 of 1973. He began boxing in the amateurs continuing the steps of their Jaime brother, taking advantage of that in 1980�s the sportsmen of high ability could complete in sports and fulfill the Military Obligatory Service.

After a regular stint in amateur boxing, especially fighting for the team of the Army next to boxers like Rosendo Alvarez, Gustavo Herrera and Oscar Dom�nguez, Mayorga decided to turn professional.

His first professional bout was in August 29 of 1993, in San Jose, Costa Rica facing the unbeaten Tico prospect Humberto Aranda (3-0). But without much backing and little preparation and because he worked in a night job of the capital, he lacked stamina and was stopped on technical knockout in six rounds.

In 1994 he won another three fights in Costa Rica, winning them all, returning to Nicaragua and winning another 4 victories in 1995. But after a second victory over Miguel Perez in December 1995 (Miguel is older brother of Luis, newly crowned IBF super flyweight champion), Mayorga retired from boxing for two years.

The difficult economic situation forced him to emigrate to Costa Rica looking for better horizons. But he didn't make it in order to box, but working in order to get some economic revenues that allowed him to subsist. Mayorga returned to action in 1998, achieving a victory over German Espinales, always boxing on the local undercards.

Lady luck didn't accompany him as he lost decisions to Roger Flores and Henry Castillo, already fighting in Costa Rica under the promotion of Costa Rican manager Efrain Vega Duran, who continued supporting him and guided him down the path of the victory achieving six straight victories until a two round technical draw with Cuban Diobelys Hurtado. That draw against Hurtado, in November 1999, gave signals that Mayorga was ready for big fights.

Vega continued his backing and in 2000 Mayorga experienced the best year of his career. Fighting in Costa Rica, he achieved 7 conseciutive victories until he achieved an opportunity with Venezuelan Adolfo Salazar in Turmero, Venezuela, on part of the program "K.O. to Drugs" that the WBA organizes every year. It was there that Mayorga impressed the American promoter Don King, with his one round demolition of Salazar.

In that moment, King and Vega agreed that Mayorga is integrated into the teamwork of the powerful promoter. Ricardo won $10,000 for that fight, plus another $10,000 King gave him for his surprising victory in front of a tough rival like the Venezuelan who was profiled as a promising prospect. Already under the promotion of King, "The Matador" traveled in February of 2001 to Las Vegas, where he liquidated Dominican Republic's Elias Cruz in three rounds.

With this victory, Mayorga was assured a world title fight with the Guyanan Andrew Lewis. History thoroughly details this "no contest" in July of the 2001, because of a clash of heads, and the knockout in March of following year over Lewis, to win the welterweight title of the WBA.

Unfortunately, the relationship of Mayorga with Vega was wounded once Ricardo conquered the world title. Without entering in major details, Mayorga said that he didn't want to continue under the management of Vega. Vega, on the other hand, stood firm, mainly because he supported him and helped to reconstruct his career. But since there was no solution to the discord, Don King decided to negotiate with Vega so that he would sell him the contract of the new welterweight champion WBA.

King paid $100,000 dollars to Vega for the contract and he named his son Carl King as the new manager and after almost one year of inactivity, the fight with Forrest was negociated.