Ricardo Mayorga

From BoxRec
Revision as of 16:00, 31 December 2004 by (Talk)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

ANNOUNCED RETIREMENT: OCTOBER 4, 2004: After suffering an 8th round TKO loss to Felix Trinidad two days ago.


His first professional bout was in August 29 of 1993, in San Jose, Costa Rica facing the unbeaten Tico prospect Humberto Aranda (3-0). But without much backing and little preparation and because he worked in a night job of the capital, he lacked stamina and was stopped on technical knockout in six rounds.

The difficult economic situation forced him to emigrate to Costa Rica looking for better horizons. But he didn\\\'t make it in order to box, but working in order to get some economic revenues that allowed him to subsist.

Vega continued his backing and in 2000 Mayorga experienced the best year of his career. Fighting in Costa Rica, he achieved 7 conseciutive victories until he achieved an opportunity with Venezuelan Adolfo Salazar in Turmero, Venezuela, on part of the program \\\"K.O. to Drugs\\\" that the WBA organizes every year. It was there that Mayorga impressed the American promoter Don King, with his one round demolition of Salazar.

In that moment, King and Vega agreed that Mayorga is integrated into the teamwork of the powerful promoter. Ricardo won $10,000 for that fight, plus another $10,000 King gave him for his surprising victory in front of a tough rival like the Venezuelan who was profiled as a promising prospect.

With this victory, Mayorga was assured a world title fight with the Guyanan Andrew Lewis. History thoroughly details this \\\"no contest\\\" in July of the 2001, because of a clash of heads, and the knockout in March of following year over Lewis, to win the welterweight title of the WBA.

Unfortunately, the relationship of Mayorga with Vega was wounded once Ricardo conquered the world title. Without entering in major details, Mayorga said that he didn\\\'t want to continue under the management of Vega. Vega, on the other hand, stood firm, mainly because he supported him and helped to reconstruct his career. But since there was no solution to the discord, Don King decided to negotiate with Vega so that he would sell him the contract of the new welterweight champion WBA.

King paid $100,000 dollars to Vega for the contract and he named his son Carl King as the new manager and after almost one year of inactivity, the fight with Forrest was negociated.