Ricardo Mayorga vs. Oscar De La Hoya
Revision as of 22:51, 7 May 2006 by Ric
2006-05-06 : Oscar De La Hoya 153½ lbs beat Ricardo Mayorga 153½ lbs by TKO at 1:25 in round 6 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judge: Duane Ford 50-44
- Judge: Paul Smith 49-45
- Judge: Guido Cavalleri 49-45
- WBC Light-Middleweight Title (Mayorga defending)
- Weights: 153½ each
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judges: Duane Ford, Paul Smith, Guido Cavalleri
- Mayorga was knocked down by a right hand followed by a huge left hook about one minute into the first round. It was a flash knockdown. He got stunned again by another right-hand punch and was about to go down again when grabbed De La Hoya to weather it. Meanwhile, De La Hoya rolled away from Mayorga's shots.
- In the second round, Mayorga looked a bit hesistant and confused. He could not hit De La Hoya cleanly. His opponent was countering effectively, delivering nice clean shots at the end of the round, including a seven-punch volley, with 30 seconds to go in the round, that sent Moyorga into the ropes.
- In the third, De La Hoya got hit by Mayorga's only clean shot so far in the bout--an uppercut that snapped his head back a little. De La Hoya countered with an effective combination.
- In the fourth, De La Hoya continued his ring generalship with his counter-punching. Every time Mayorga punched, De La Hoya blocked with his gloves and arms, countering with clean shots.
- In the fifth there was a minor headbutt. Mayorga was warned for rabbit-punching again at the end of the round by Referee Nady. De La Hoya dominated Mayorga the whole round. Mayorga looked frustrated and a little tired.
- In the sixth, De La Hoya scored another knockdown, sending Mayorga to his knees. Mayorga rose to his feet, but De La Hoya went for the kill and hammered Mayorga with a flurry of some 20-plus punches. Mayorga could not respond, so Referee Nady stopped the bout at 1:25. Popular opinion was that Mayorga was simply out-classed by De La Hoya throughout the bout.
- De La Hoya had landed 116 of 264 punches (44 percent), while Mayorga landed just 58 of 333 blows (17 percent).
- Afterward De La Hoya found Mayorga in the middle of the ring and they embraced, despite all the pre-fight trash-talking between the two. (Mayorga had slapped De La Hoya at one press conference, called De La Hoya a "bitch," and insulted De La Hoya's wife and son Gabriel. He apologized to De la Hoya after the fight.)
- Attendance: 13,076
- De La Hoya's purse was over $8 million. Mayorga's purse was $2 million.
- The bout was televised on HBO-Television's "Pay Per View."
- This was De La Hoya's first bout after a 20-month layoff. It was the tenth world title in six weight classes that he had won.