Ricky Hatton vs. Manny Pacquiao
Revision as of 08:36, 28 April 2009 by Sweetscientist
2009-05-02 : Manny Pacquiao 138 lbs beat Ricky Hatton 140 lbs by KO at 2:59 in round 2 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Kenny Bayless
- Judge: Michael Pernick 10-7
- Judge: C.J. Ross 10-7
- Judge: Glenn Trowbridge 10-7
- International Boxing Organization Light Welterweight Title (3rd defense by Hatton)
- The Ring Magazine Junior Welterweight Title (Hatton defending)
- Ricky Hatton 45-1 (32 KOs) vs. Manny Pacquiao 48-3-2 (36 KOs)
- Hatton came in as the # 1 junior welterweight and # 8 pound-for-pound fighter in the world by The Ring Magazine. Pacquiao was ranked the # 1 overall pound-for-pound in the world by the same publication.
- The fight was originally canceled as the two sides could not agree on how to split the purse. They eventually agreed upon a 52-48 split in favor of Pacquiao.
- In build up to the fight, HBO aired it's popular series "24/7" which chronicled the two fighters' preparation in the months and weeks preceding the match.
- The high-end arena tickets sold at for $1,000, $500 less than they were for Pacquiao's eight-round stoppage of Oscar De La Hoya. The Pay-Per-View telecast sold for $50, $5 less. 
- On April 21st, nearly two weeks before the fight, it was announced that the event was officially a sellout with all ~16,000 seats at the MGM Grand being purchased.