Robert Guerrero vs. Selcuk Aydin
2012-07-28 : Robert Guerrero 145¾ lbs beat Selcuk Aydin 146½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: HP Pavilion, San Jose, California, USA
- Referee: Dan Stell
- Judge: Max DeLuca 116-112
- Judge: Mark Green 116-112
- Judge: Michael Tate 117-111
- Ring Announcer: Jimmy Lennon Jr.
- Aired On: Showtime Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- (interim) World Boxing Council Welterweight Title
Robert Guerrero moved up two weight classes and returned from a 15-month layoff to score a unanimous decision win over the unbeaten Selcuk Aydin (23-0).
Guerrero rode a high work rate and crisp combination punching to put rounds in the bank against Aydin, who landed some heavy shots, but often relied on a single power punch and simply did not throw enough to earn the judges' favor.
Guerrero controlled the first three rounds with impressive activity and combo punching both upstairs and to the body. Aydin began to land his signature right hand through the middle rounds and stung Guerrero with some solid uppercuts on the inside. Aydin's strongest round was the tenth when he out landed Guerrero 27 to 12, and connected with a good body shot and a short right hand.
Guerrero, however, rallied over the last couple of rounds and, aside from a big right hand in the eleventh, avoided the bulk of Aydin's closing attacks.
- Robert Guerrero 29-1-1 (18 KOs) vs. Selcuk Aydin 23-0 (17 KOs)
- Aydin, a 2.8 to 1 underdog, entered as the # 10 welterweight contender according to The Ring Magazine. Guerrero, due to inactivity, was unranked by the same publication.
- For Guerrero, it was first bout since April of 2011, following surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff he suffered while training for a bout with Marcos Maidana.
- It was the first fight for Guerrero at the 147-pound welterweight limit. Guerrero began his career at featherweight, but most recently had been fighting at lightweight. Aydin had been fighting at welterweight for five years.
- It was the second U.S. fight for Aydin, who trained in the United States for two months for the bout, and his second appearance on Showtime. In his previous visit in 2009, he scored a split-decision win over Said Ouali (25-2).
- Ticket prices ranged from $26 to $252.
- "There's boxing and there's fighting. And I think we're watching a fight." - Analyst Gus Johnson
- "I'm just so happy. I just want to thank God. Without God nothing is possible. He's (Aydin) a strong guy, that nobody wanted to fight. I want to take on the best. I stood there with him a little too long. My corner wanted me to box. Now you know I can take shots at welterweight. He hit me with some good shots and I just shrugged it off. I'm back! If Floyd Mayweather Jr. wants his belt, it's right here. Come and get it." - Robert Guerrero in the post-fight interview.
- "I think the judges did not make a mistake. I made a mistake. I couldn't do what I wanted to do. Something happened after the fourth round, I saw double. There's no excuse. Robert didn't beat me. The politics of boxing beat me. Three years before, I would have beaten Robert." Selcuk Aydin in the post-fight interview through translator and promoter Ahmet Oner.