Ruslan Provodnikov vs. Emanuel Augustus
Revision as of 07:58, 30 December 2012 by Michael
2010-05-21 : Ruslan Provodnikov 141½ lbs beat Emanuel Augustus 143¾ lbs by TKO at 1:50 in round 9 of 10
- Location: Laredo Energy Arena, Laredo, Texas, USA
- Referee: Rafael Ramos
- Judge: Dr Ruben M Garcia
- Judge: Tony Garcia
- Judge: Charles Phillips
- Time: 1:50
- Aired on: ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Fight was initially stated to be for the NABA and WBO Inter-Continental Light Welterweight titles, but the sanction was removed upon the change in opponents and the fighters coming in at over the 140 lbs weight limit.
- NABA title had been stripped from Ionut Dan Ion when he agreed to participate in a WBC Welterweight interim title fight.
- Augustus was a late replacement for Frankie Figueroa, who withdrew as a result of a rib injury, and took the fight on four days notice.
- First four rounds close, next five won by Provodnikov with consistent left jabs to head and body.
- Augustus tried to counter left over the Provodnikov right for eight rounds while moving left to right along the ropes, not offering a stationary target.
- Augustus down in round 5 from an overhand right, appeared in serious trouble for rest of the round.
- Provodnikov sends Augustus to the canvas twice more in round 9 before the referee decides to call a halt to the fight. Augustus appeared tired and had stopped moving, becoming a target.