Saul Alvarez vs. Ryan Rhodes
2011-06-18 : Saul Alvarez 153¼ lbs beat Ryan Rhodes 152½ lbs by TKO at 0:48 in round 12 of 12
- Location: Arena VFG, Tlajomulco de Zúñiga, Jalisco, Mexico
- Referee: Hector Afu
- Judge: Max DeLuca
- Judge: Yuji Fukuchi
- Judge: David Sutherland
- Aired On: HBO Boxing After Dark
- Ring Announcer: Joe Martinez
- WBC Light Middleweight Title (1st defense by Alvarez)
- Saul Alvarez 36-0-1 (26 KOs) vs. Ryan Rhodes 45-4 (31 KOs)
- Alvarez entered as the # 9 junior middleweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Rhodes, a 6/1 betting underdog , was ranked # 4 by the same publication. 
- For Rhodes, it was his first professional fight to take place outside his native United Kingdom.
- At 152 1/2 lbs., Rhodes fought at the lightest weight of his professional career to date. Conversely, Alvarez was fighting at the heaviest weight of his professional career to date at 153 1/4 lbs.
- Prior to the bout, a ceremonial ten count was held for the recently deceased Genaro Hernandez.
- The chosen ring size for the bout was 18' x 18'
A measured opening round saw both fighters looking for countering opportunities and openings with Alvarez landing more frequently than his opponent. In Round 2, Alvarez continued to outwork Rhodes, who often switched between orthodox and southpaw stances. Alvarez fought looking for openings and threw big combinations when able. Rhodes turned up his output in Round 3 throwing straight shots behind the jab. Alvarez continued to walk down his opponent and looked to land the right hook and left hand to the body. In the 4th, action continued much as the previous. In the final minute, however, a combination, most of which missed, found Rhodes off balance and sent him to the mat. It was ruled a knockdown, although it could have been ruled a slip as well. He was up quickly and action continued. Also in the 4th, a small cut opened under the left eye of Rhodes. Alvarez continued to outwork Rhodes in the 5th and 6th, waiting for Rhodes to throw then making him pay with power combinations.