Saul Alvarez vs. Shane Mosley
2012-05-05 : Saul Alvarez 154 lbs beat Shane Mosley 154 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judge: Jesse Reyes 119-109
- Judge: Glenn Trowbridge 119-109
- Judge: C.J. Ross 118-110
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View "Ring Kings"
- World Boxing Council Light Middleweight Title (4th defense by Alvarez)
- Saul Alvarez 39-0-1 (29 KOs) vs. Shane Mosley 46-7-1 (39 KOs)
- Fight was on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto.
- Alvarez entered as the #2 junior middleweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Mosley, a 6/1 betting underdog, was unranked by the same publication.  
- Mosely entered with a record of 2-3-1 in his previous six bouts dating back to November of 2007. In his previous bout, which was one year prior, he lost a lopsided unanimous decision to Manny Pacquiao.
- At 40, Mosley was 19 years older than Alvarez.
- Among those in attendance were Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Bernard Hopkins, and Oscar De La Hoya.
- ESPN's Dan Rafael scored it 118-110 in favor of Alvarez.
- Purses: Saul Alvarez - $2 Million, Shane Mosley - $600k
Shane Mosley Officially Retired after this Bout- ending a Hall of Fame Bound Career with a record of 46 - 8 - 1 - 39KO's, He went 0-3-1 in his last 4 fights
Mosley likely took the opening round working behind a jab, as Alvarez did not throw a punch for the first minute and a half. Alvarez again started Round 2 slowly, before closing well with three clean left hooks to the head of Mosley. The third of which caused Mosley to clinch. Alvarez continued to land the cleaner shots in Round 3. A clash of heads opened a gash on the outside of Alvarez's left eyelid in Round 3 that would stream down the side of his face intermittently throughout the remainder of the fight. Mosley outworked Alvarez in a close Round 4, with Alvarez throwing less but landing at a higher rate. Mosley continued to come forward behind a jab and mixing in an occasional hook to the body. Alvarez snapped back the head of Mosley with a jab midway through the round and continued to find a home for some clean power shots. Rounds 6 and 7 were strong ones for Alvarez who often rested in the first half of rounds, before opening up and rocking Mosley in the second halves. Alvarez landed some solid body shots in Round 8 as Mosley continued to get caught with power punches. Mosley was game and did throw, but was getting caught with some heavy punches. Much of the same continued in the final one-third of the fight as in the previous as Mosley's face had become reddened and swollen.
- "It's a great experience. Thanks to Shane Mosley for giving me this experience. Mayweather, Cotto, Pacquiao I'm ready." Saul Alvarez through a translator in his post fight interview with Larry Merchant.
- "His defense picked up real good and he's pretty quick. His body shots were good and his punches were good, sharp, and crisp. When you get the kids starting to beat you up, you might need to start promoting. I gave it all I got. I got beat by a better man." Shane Mosley in his post-fight interview with Merchant.